IT Policy Issues
Potential Issues and Initiatives
Topics are intended to promote discussion, not to predetermine the Committee’s agenda.
- Plan for the 1999-2001 NSHE technology budget request.
- Identify technology needs at campus and system levels.
- Propose strategies for acquisition of funding for technology and support personnel.
- Evaluate need for access to both “commodity” and “high speed” (Internet II) internet connections and resources.
- Support and coordinate the Data Warehouse Initiative.
- Recommend strategies for accountability and reporting on legislative allocations.
- Address LCB audit issues.
- Coordinate institutional and System efforts with respect to data standards; security access and mutual assistance.
- Support and coordinate the Position Control Initiative.
- Same as above.
- Promote electronic access to student data.
- Identify potential applications for development of tools for student access.
- Explore legal liabilities related to technology.
- Guide policies on appropriate use, computer crime, and software copyright issues.
- Promote appropriate partnerships with state and federal agencies and K-12 education.
- Address issues associated with K-12/NSHE shared technology facilities and resources, e.g., CSN and WNC technology centers.
- Coordinate with other technology committees.
- Administrative Technology Steering Committee (ATSC).
- Address NSHE World Wide Web site development issues.
- Address library evolution to electronic information access issues.
- Address System and institutional technology roles and coordination.
- What are the appropriate responsibilities at each level?